- Showcasing Revitalization of Research and Early-Stage Programs -
- Four Major Phase 3 Data Readouts in the Next Year -
WESTON, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Biogen Idec (NASDAQ: BIIB) today will be hosting an Analyst Day to provide an update for the investment community on the company’s commercial strategy, select late and early-stage clinical development programs, as well as the revitalization of its research organization. The event will be led by George A. Scangos, Ph.D., Chief Executive Officer, Tony Kingsley, Executive Vice President of Global Commercial Operations, and Douglas Williams, Executive Vice President of Research and Development (R&D), along with other members of the company scientific leadership team.
Dr. Scangos said, “I feel good about where Biogen Idec is today and our prospects in 2012 and beyond. We have reestablished excellence in our commercial organization. We have a deep understanding of the multiple sclerosis market and believe that we have the right strategy and insights to grow not only our market share but the market overall with the potential launch of multiple new therapies, beginning with our oral MS drug candidate BG-12. We’ll be sharing additional context around our Phase 3 clinical studies for our long-lasting blood factors for hemophilia in preparation for those data readouts later this year. We’ll also be showcasing several innovative earlier-stage programs, including a therapy focused on repairing the damage done by MS, that reflect our focus on programs with the greatest potential to improve the lives of people with devastating neurodegenerative and immune diseases.”
Dr. Williams said, "We’ve made significant progress revitalizing our R&D organization. We have one of the most robust late-stage pipelines in the industry with the potential to launch multiple therapies in coming years in multiple sclerosis, hemophilia and amytrophic lateral sclerosis, or Lou Gehrig’s disease. We’ve strengthened our early-stage pipeline by advancing some very exciting internally discovered drug candidates as well as bringing in several promising programs through business-development deals. We’re also stimulating our research and discovery efforts by redoubling our efforts to identify new targets, increasing our collaborations with leading academic researchers and building out a world-class scientific team.”
- Mr. Kingsley will chart Biogen Idec’s commercial strategy to address different patient and physician needs and attitudes with our franchise of multiple therapies;
- Glenn Pierce, MD, PhD, Senior Vice President of Global Medical Affairs and Chief Medical Officer, Hemophilia will review the clinical trial design for our two long-lasting factor programs for hemophilia in preparation for Phase 3 data readouts later this year;
- Theresa Podrebarac, MD, MSc, Vice President of Medical Research will provide a deeper dive into our early-stage immunology pipeline; and
- Alfred Sandrock, Senior Vice President of Development Sciences and Chief Medical Officer, will provide an overview of Biogen Idec’s neurology pipeline, with a particular emphasis on multiple sclerosis, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) and neuropathic pain.
Presenters will highlight the following clinical development programs:
- TYSABRI® (natalizumab) in Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis
- BG-12 in MS
- Dexpramipexole in ALS
- rFVIIIFc and rFIXFc in hemophilia
- Anti-TWEAK in lupus nephritis
- Syk inhibitor in rheumatoid arthritis
- STX-100 in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis
- Anti-LINGO in MS
- Neublastin in neuropathic pain
- ISIS-SMNRX in SMA
Conference Call and Webcast
The company's Analyst Day meeting will be webcast live on Tuesday, June 12, 2012 at 10:00 a.m. ET. To access the live webcast, please visit Biogen Idec’s Investor Relations section. An archived version of the webcast will be available for 14 days following the presentation.
About Biogen Idec
Through cutting-edge science and medicine, Biogen Idec discovers, develops and delivers to patients worldwide innovative therapies for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, hemophilia and autoimmune disorders. Founded in 1978, Biogen Idec is the world’s oldest independent biotechnology company. Patients worldwide benefit from its leading multiple sclerosis therapies, and the company generates more than $5 billion in annual revenues. For product labeling, press releases and additional information about the company, please visit www.biogenidec.com.
Biogen Idec Safe Harbor Statement
This press release contains forward-looking statements, including statements about product development and commercialization. These forward-looking statements may be accompanied by such words as "anticipate," "believe," "estimate," "expect," "forecast," "intend," "may," "plan," "will" and other words and terms of similar meaning. You should not place undue reliance on these statements. Drug development and commercialization involve a high degree of risk. Factors which could cause actual results to differ materially from our current expectations include the risk that adverse safety events may occur, regulatory authorities may require additional information or may fail to approve any potential new therapy, reimbursement for our products may be limited or unavailable, we may encounter problems with our manufacturing processes, we may be unable to adequately protect our intellectual property rights, and the other risks and uncertainties that are described in the Risk Factors section of our most recent annual or quarterly report and in other reports Biogen Idec Inc. has filed with the SEC. These statements are based on current beliefs and expectations and speak only as of the date of this press release. We do not undertake any obligation to publicly update any forward-looking statements.